OLD WESTERN CULTURE
Old Western Culture: The Romans is a full year of instruction which includes four units: The Aeneid, The Historians, Early Christianity, and Nicene Christianity. With over 20 hours of video with accompanying exercises for each assignment, and a robust reading load, The Romans offers the homeschooler or school a complete literature and social studies curriculum.
- THE GREEKS
- THE ROMANS
- EARLY MODERNS
THE ROMANS year 2 DVD set (full year curriculum) includes:
Four units (25+ hrs of instruction), PDF Workbooks,
Teacher's Edition, course guide (4x), 19 texts in PDF.
Table of Contents: 48 lectures, see "More Info" tab below.
A Complete Literature Curriculum!
Old Western Culture, Year 2
By Wes Callihan
Relive the Great Books that shaped Western civilization!
4 DVD sets (16 DVDs total) or Streaming. Runtime: approx. 26 hrs.
Unit II SHIPPING APRIL 30th, 2015
Units III, and IV in stock by July 2015.
All 4 DVD sets + Streaming Access + 4 physical worksbooks (also included in PDF with family license).
4 workbooks covering The Romans
Includes Answer Key
These are "The Great Books," they
are classics. Chances are you
own at least some of these books.
Feel free to use your own copy!
Specific translations and
editions are not required.
See "THE BOOKS" tab below.
You can also purchase your own
texts. We have links to
recommended translations under
our "THE BOOKS" tab below.
There are certain texts
we highly recommend in
Digital versions of ALL classic texts
are included with your purchase!
These may be read on tablets
such as the iPad or Kindle, or on
Make sure and visit our MATERIALS page HERE for the PDF version of the student workbook (free with purchase of DVDs), Answer Key, exams, eTexts for all the Great Books, and extra resources.!
WHAT IS “OLD WESTERN CULTURE”?
“Old Western Culture” is a literature curriculum named after a term coined by C.S. Lewis to describe the fabric of ideas that shaped Western Civilization. For centuries, a “Great Books” education lay at the heart of what it meant to be educated. It was the education of the Church Fathers, of the Medieval Church, of the Reformers, and of all the Founding Fathers of the Unites States. It is a CLASSICAL EDUCATION, based on the great books of western civilization. It is a CHRISTIAN EDUCATION, which sees the history and literature of the West through the eyes of the Bible and historic Christianity. It is an INTEGRATED HUMANITIES CURRICULUM, bringing together literature, history, philosophy, doctrine, geography, and art. And it is a HOMESCHOOL oriented curriculum, made by homeschoolers with the needs of homeschooled in mind, including flexibility, affordability, and ease-of-use. We bring a master-teacher into your home, and encourage parents to gain an overview of Western Civilization themselves by watching the video lessons with their children.
HOW DOES OLD WESTERN CULTURE WORK?
Old Western Culture is a video course. It is built around a master teacher, Wes Callihan. With decades of teaching experience, he guides students through the story of Western civilization. Each unit of The Greeks (year 1 of Old Western Culture) contains 12 video lessons (48 in year 1, approx 30 min each).
Each lesson begins with a brief review before jumping into summary, commentary, analysis, and inter-disciplnary connections of the works covered. After each lesson, students complete the assigned readings, and asnswer comprehension questions in the Student Workbook.
WHAT BOOKS ARE COVERED IN YEAR 2, THE ROMANS?
The Romans is divided into 4 units:
1. The Aeneid. Works covered: The Aeneid, Ovid's Metamorphoses, and other Roman epics.
2. The Historians. Works covered: Various selections from Livy, Tacitus, Salust, Caesar, Plutarch, and Cicero
3. Early Christianity. Works covered: Various selections from Clement, Ignatius, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, and Eusebius
4. Nicene Christianity. Works covered: selected readings Athanasius, Augustine, and Boethius.
WHY DO PEOPLE LOVE WES CALLIHAN?
Wes Callihan is a master story teller! With a remarkable ability to communicate a passion for history and literature, he makes profound ideas accessible, relevent, and interesting. Also known for his distinctive "rabbit trailers," forays into funny and obscure historical anactodes, which have a way of showing up at the dinner table. (After all, rabbit trails are "hooks for the imagination and memory.") Wes Callihan is a true classical scholar, fluent in both Latin and Greek. He lectures only from the notes in the margins of his worn copies of the Great Books.
Visit our all new SAMPLE LESSONS page!
The Sample Page will allow you to take the Old Western Culture curriculum for a test drive! Watch full lessons from the curriculum, fun excerpts, browse the workbooks, exams, and art guides, as well as get to know Wes Callihan, the instructor.
THE ROMANS is a full year curriculum which includes four units: The Aeneid, The Historians, Early Christianity, and Nicene Christianity. With over 20 hours of video with accompanying exercises for each assignment, and a robust reading load, The Romans offers the homeschooler or classical school a complete literature and social studies course! Please visit the page for each unit for more information on that particular unit.
WHAT'S INCLUDED: When you purchase Old Western Culture: The Romans you get all four DVD sets or access to the online self-paced portal. The DVDs come with a student workbook and Teacher's Edition workbook in PDF format (copies permitted within your own household), and a guide to the art booklet for each unit. See "The Books" tabs for more info.
COMPLETE LECTURE LIST FOR THE ROMANS
average lesson length: 30 min
1. Introduction to The Romans: Overview of Roman History, its importance to Old Western Culture, and a Survey of the books Covered in this series
2. Introduction to the Aeneid: Vergil, Secondary Epic, and the Writing, Worldview, and Influence of the Aeneid
3. Rome is an Idea (Aeneid Book I)
4. The Fall of Troy and The Wanderings of Aeneas (Aeneid Book II & III)
5. The Tragedy of Dido (Aeneid Book IV)
6. The Underworld (Aeneid Book V & VI)
7. The Broken Truce and the Shield of Aeneas (Aeneid Book VII & VIII)
8. The Tragedy of Nisus and Euryalos (Aeneid Book IX & X)
9. Camilla, Juno's Surrender, and the Death of Turnus (Aeneid Book XI & XII)
10. Metamorphoses I
11. Metamorphoses II
12. The Epics of Lucretius, Lucan, and Statius
1. Livy I: Philosophy of history and the monarchy 2. Livy II: Beginning and Heroes of the Republic
3. Livy III: Threats to the Republic
4. Tacitus I: Philosophy of history and Tiberius
5. Tacitus II:Claudius
6. Tacitus III:Nero
7. Sallust: The Jugurthine War and the The Conspiracy of Catiline: The Republic in Decay
8. Julius Caesar: The Gallic wars
9. Plutarch's Lives I: Demosthenes and Cicero
10. Plutarch's Lives II: Alexander and Caesar
11. Cicero: Against Verres and Against Antony
1. The Roman Background of Christianity
2. The Jewish Background of Christianity
3. The Didache
4. The First Letter of Clement
5. The Roman World in the Second and Third Centuries
6. Ignatius and Polycarp
7. The Apologists
8. Justin Martyr
10. Clement of Alexandria and Origen
11. Eusebius I
12. Eusebius II
1. Constantine and The Council of Nicea
2. The Nicene and Post-Nicene Age
3. Athanasius's On the Incarnation
4. Athanasius's Life of Anthony
5. John Chrysostom
6. Augustine's Confessions I
7. Augustine's Confessions II
8. Augustine's City of God I
9. Augustine's City of God II
10. Augustine's City of God III
11. Augustine's City of God IV
Old Western Culture is intended for mature and discerning students. We recommend this course for ages 14 and up. The course will deal with mature themes such as paganism, sexual immorality, battle scenes (mostly in actual reading), and classical paintings. Old Western Culture is meant to equip your child with a Biblical lens from which to process these themes. We assume your child has a working knowledge of the Bible and basic Christian doctrine.
Each year of Old Western Culture is a double-credit Literature and History (Social Studies) course. The double-credit assumes that the student will watch all the videos, read the required reading, answer the daily worksheets, and take 4 exams (one for each unit). This a robust course academically, and requires a lot of reading. Wesley Callihan will coach your student on how to approach the reading in the video. While the reading might be considered heavy, it is very doable!
The workbook gives the student questions to answer for every lesson, discussion questions to think about, and a host of further resources for the student that wants to go further (or study for a paper!). An Answer Key includes all the answers in essay format and can be found at the back of the Student Workbook. We encourage students to answer the questions on their own before referencing the Answer Key.
You may download the workbooks in PDF format from the MATERIALS PAGE.
We sell a physical versions of the workbooks available on this page as a bundle discount (all 4 units), or you may purchase the individual workbooks on the specific unit's page (click on appropriate cover on the top of this page to go to each unit). This offers an alternative to using the PDFs, and reduces printing time, costs, and hassle. It is spiral bound, and like the PDFs, is reproducible within your immediate family.
THE ROMANS BOOK LIST
If you would like to purchase hard copies of the texts for The Romans, the following list includes our recommended translations and editions.
THE AENEID BOOK LIST:
- The Aeneid
- Ovid's Metamorphoses
- The excerpts of the other Roman Epics assigned in this term are included in the Student Workbook. You may purchase the physical workbook here, or download the PDF on the MATERIALS page.
THE HISTORIANS BOOK LIST:
Links coming soon!
Various selections from Livy, Tacitus, Salust, Caesar, Plutarch, and Cicero.
EARLY CHRISTIANITY BOOK LIST:
Links coming soon!
Various selections from Clement, Ignatius, Irenaeus, Justin Martyr, and Eusebius.
NICENE CHRISTIANITY BOOK LIST:
Links coming soon!
Various selections from Athanasius, Augustine, and Boethius.
SHIPPING & HANDLING
We charge a flat shipping rate of $7 for our physical products. You will only receive one charge per order regardless of quantity.
INTERNATINAL SHIPPING: In an effort to encourage homeschoolers abroad, we offer the same flat shipping rate of $7 per order for our international customers!
Want to submit a review?
Send your review to firstname.lastname@example.org!
We have an ALL NEW reviews page. Check it out HERE!
HEAR FROM WES CALLIHAN'S STUDENTS: